Thursday, November 15, 2007

Is it for me?

हरी ॐ

The classes were making progress very well, and really these people showed much more interest not only to learn only physical aspect of yoga but to learn what yogic philosophy is. I was very happy to know that they are very keen to know about yogic lifestyle and traditional way to learn yoga.


It was Ramazan month when we were having classes. When I heard about the tradition about Ramazan, I got impressed very much to listen the way to purify the body and mind. Ramazan is a Muslim religious observance that takes place during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, when the Quran was revealed. Prayers, fasting, charity, and self-accountability are especially followed at this time.


Fortunately this year the Indian festival ‘Vijayadashmi’ and ‘Ramazan’ were on the same day. So I was telling my students the importance of Vijayadashmi. Some of my students from that batch were on fasting during Ramazan. One of them ask me very interesting question.


He asked to me, “I’m Muslim. And I’m on fasting during Ramazan month.”


“Can I chant these prayers during Ramazan Month?” “Is it recommended to chant these prayers for Muslim people?”


I just gave him a smile and told him that the prayers are like affirmation which creates positive effect on your mind and body and helps to develop your personality in holistic way. It’s not restricted for any specific religion or for any specific people. Everybody can chant these prayers and get benefited from it. Even during Ramazan month what you are doing is Yoga only.


In the next session he did all the prayers and chanted mantras in the class without any hesitation. It’s really good example to follow the correct yogic path. After all what is yoga? Yoga is just the lifestyle which you have to live, experience. Instead of practicing yoga try to live Yoga.


So, are you ready to accept different lifestyle?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hari om ji!!

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences, its so nice of you!! I also believe that mantras and prayers don't belong to a specific religion, its just praying to the same energy in a different mother tongue. It's like when you say hello in different languages, you still mean the same thing, its the same with prayers. Anyway as long as you speak from the heart you could say anything as long as you direct the energy in the right direction with a pure heart.

Anyway my spiritual friend hope all is,

warmest of regards

Hansraj

Anonymous said...

Hari Om Teacher,

Eventhough my religion in Christian, I do enjoy listening and chanting.